Grab your rubber gloves, because the main duties of a kitchen porter are to ensure the kitchen is spic and span.
Chefs such as Michel Roux recognise and celebrate the importance of a good kitchen porter for helping the kitchen run smoothly and that no matter how hot the chef may be, if there are no clean pans nothing is going to get cooked. There is even an annual Kitchen Porter of the Year awards ceremony, to celebrate the vital role they play in a kitchen.
Tasks And Responsibilities
• Ensure basic cleaning jobs are carried out as quickly as possible.
• Collect and wash up pots and pans.
• Clean food preparation areas and equipment, in addition to crockery and cutlery.
• Unload food and equipment deliveries.
• Keep the storeroom organised.
• Keep work surfaces, walls and floors clean and sanitised.
In addition to keeping the kitchen sparkling clean, kitchen porters can be involved in food preparation. If you are in a top-class restaurant, then don't expect more than peeling potatoes or unwrapping ingredients. However, smaller kitchens might task kitchen porters with preparing salads or some desserts.
• If you decide that you can stand the heat after all, there are a few traits you need to possess in order to be a kitchen porter. For starters, physical fitness is essential, not just because you are on your feet all day, but also for unloading deliveries.
• A kitchen is a high-paced environment, so the ability to remain calm under pressure is vital. People shout and swear, so if you are of a sensitive nature it might be best to avoid.
• Even though the tasks are straightforward, you still have to be a quick learner and follow instructions. Chefs don't like to repeat themselves! Part of this will be having an understanding of hygiene and safety regulations.
• Kitchen porters work as part of a team, but also need to have the initiative to sort out anything as and when it comes up.
There are no specific qualifications, but a good general secondary education is useful.
Mode of Application
• Interested candidates should forward their CV details to standviewinc @gmail.com
• Candidates can also opt to send their Fullnames, Date of Birth, Current contact address, Valid phone number, Age, Years of experience and Job applying for to
• Candidates can also opt to send their Fullnames, Date of Birth, Current contact address, Valid phone number, Age, Years of experience and Job applying for to the advert message box.
• Candidates should comply with all requirements and instructions enlisted failure to do so will lead to AUTOMATIC disqualification.
• Candidates should only call the phone number attached to the advert daily during working hours of 8am-4pm (Monday-Saturday).
• Only shortlisted candidates would be contacted